Friday, January 27, 2017

Free-For-All Friday - Hearing The Stars

Thirty years ago I was working on an audio project and had read about the "sound" of the Voyager spacecraft as it passed through the magnetic field of Jupiter. I contacted JPL to see how I could get a copy of this sound. The guy on the other end of the line was incredulous that I was asking for this, but a couple of weeks later I received the cassette tape. It was a bit underwhelming - a sound like semi-organized and undulating static. I was probably expecting something on the level of Holst.

Today I listened to this 10-minute TED Talk of a blind astronomer who developed a way to "hear" the stars in the sky. Her "sonification" sounds only a little more listenable than the Voyager static, but her story is much more interesting.





No comments: